- Who we are
- WHAT WE DO
- Support us
Work at CEJIL
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Communications Officer
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 31st, 2014
ORGANIZATION FOCUS: International Human Rights Law in Latin America
START DATE: Immediately
Founded in 1991 by a group of prominent Latin American human rights defenders, CEJIL is a non-governmental organization whose mission is the promotion and protection of human rights in the Americas through the use of the Inter-American Human Rights System and other international mechanisms of protection. Through the strategic litigation of emblematic cases of human rights violations, training of key actors, dissemination of knowledge, and advocacy before the Inter-American System, CEJIL, in collaboration with local NGOs, seeks to promote and protect human rights in the Americas. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.cejil.org.
CEJIL seeks a Communications Officer to support and advance different aspects of CEJIL’s external and internal communications programs in coordination with staff from our four offices in Buenos Aires (Argentina), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), San José (Costa Rica), and Washington, D.C. (USA). This position is based in CEJIL’s San José, Costa Rica office and requires occasional travel. The candidate must be an analytical thinker and be a highly-motivated team player with exceptional multi-tasking skills.
- Establish and maintain ties with press, bloggers and national, regional and international media.
- Periodically monitor the results of dissemination and CEJIL’s media presence.
- Update mailing and press contact lists.
- Prepare targeted communication materials for dissemination to diverse traditional media and online audiences.
- Convert highly specialized legal content to accessible products for non-specialized audiences.
- Advise CEJIL staff on communication tools and strategies, in preparation for country missions, as well as to prepare for potential contact with the media.
- Update CEJIL’s website.
- Edit CEJIL publications.
- Support the preparation of content to ensure the participation and presence of CEJIL in social networks and other media.
- Provide support in the processes of producing and editing audiovisual materials.
- Prepare monthly reports of efforts and results in a format to be indicated.
- Perform other functions as assigned that are related to the area of dissemination and communication and that take into account your professional skills.
- A responsible and analytical person with a strong commitment to CEJIL’s mission, purpose and values and sensitivity to human rights issues.
- Ability to address and resolve unforeseen situations.
- Ability to work in teams, remotely and in multidisciplinary and cross-cultural environments.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to express oneself properly in public.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities, demands and tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to adapt to constant change and work under pressure.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Communications or related fields (Master’s degree considered a plus).
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in related positions, with an increasing level of responsibility.
- Excellent command of written and spoken Spanish and an intermediate level of written and spoken English. Knowledge of Portuguese is a plus.
- Knowledge of graphic design and infographics.
- Basic knowledge of campaign platforms (i.e. Salsa, Avaaz), media databases (such as VOCUS) and monitoring of traditional and social media.
- Experience in managing social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Visa to work in Costa Rica at the time of hiring.
SALARY: Between US$ 1500 and US$1700 gross monthly.
No phone calls please
Interested candidates should send by e-mail a cover letter, resume, and two (2) writing samples (one in English and one in Spanish) by December 31st to: email@example.com
Subject: Communications Officer
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. CEJIL assures equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation.
For internship opportunities, please click here.