- Who we are
- WHAT WE DO
- Support us
Work at CEJIL
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: BILINGUAL (SPANISH/ENGLISH) ATTORNEY
EDUCATION: Law Degree
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 13th, 2015
ORGANIZATION FOCUS: International Human Rights Law in Latin America
SALARY: Upper-forties (Plus benefits)
STARTING DATE: Immediately
The Center for Justice and International Law (CEJIL) seeks a bilingual (Spanish/English) Attorney to litigate human rights cases before the Inter-American System for the Protection of Human Rights. This position will be based in Washington, D.C. Established in 1991 by a group of prominent Latin American human rights defenders, CEJIL is a non-governmental organization whose mission is the promotion and protection of human rights in the Americas through the use of the Inter-American Human Rights System and other international mechanisms of protection. For more information about our organization, please visit our website at www.cejil.org.
1. Support the litigation of cases primarily from the Andean, North America and the Caribbean Region before the Inter-American Commission and Court of Human Rights;
2. Maintain relationships with local NGOs, government representatives, and international organizations in Latin America;
3. Design and support training sessions, workshops, and materials about the Inter-American System or international human rights law;
4. Participate in and support activities designed to strengthen the Inter-American System, such as writing position papers, participating in advocacy initiatives, etc.;
5. Complete institutional responsibilities, such as writing trip reports and work plans, among others;
6. Assist with general administrative tasks;
7. Other duties as assigned.
1. Demonstrate a strong commitment to CEJIL’s mission, purpose and values.
2. Law Degree (Masters preferred but not required);
3. Four years of work experience, preferably at the international level;
4. Strong analytical skills and the ability to develop convincing legal arguments;
5. Ability to write, edit, and communicate fluently in Spanish and English;
6. Ability to work on own initiative and work with others as part of a team;
7. Ability to work under pressure and on various projects at once;
8. Willingness to travel and work in a multicultural environment.
Our CEJIL Washington office offers an excellent benefits package that includes generous paid vacation, as well as employer-paid health, dental and life insurance.
- No phone calls please - Interested candidates should send by e-mail a cover letter in English, resume and two (2) writing samples (one in English and one in Spanish) no later than March 13th, 2015 to:
Subject: Position-2015-DC Attorney
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they come in. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications before the deadline. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. CEJIL assures equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons without discrimination based on any reason.
For internship opportunities, please click here.